Wednesday 8 October 2014

Waiting for the oven engineer

   Hello All
 Hello especially to Bob, Jane, Tania, Jenny, Kim and Retiredwannabe on Blog Lovin and Chickpea, Angela and The Saver of Suburbia.                                                                                                               I noticed, with embarrassment that I spelled Licence wrong in my last Post Title. I know I often spell stuff  incorrectly, but in a post title! How come good old spell check didn't spot it? I have only just realised .. it's American! Slow aren't I, I bet you all knew that already.

Well the last post seemed to strike a chord, in no small measure due to SSS sharing my post on her post! Not everybody agreed with me which I have no problem with, but many did and there were lots of interesting comments.

  Been baking as best I can this week, for our memories afternoon at the village hall. We held similar afternoon n for the ex- workers from a local factory that closed in 1995 earlier in the year. It was such a success that we were asked if we would do another and we thought "why not". We have many photographs to share and will provide tea and cakes. The problem I have is that the thermostat in my oven is playing up and the oven man could not come until today and the meeting is today!. So I have been peeking into the oven and putting an oven thermometer in and out. Not the ideal way to cook sponges! Unsurprisingly, the date and walnut and the carrot cake are faring better than the lemon drizzle which is less forgiving!. So I am sitting here waiting for my knight in shining armour to arrive, hopefully this morning.
 I don't know about you, but I like to look through the blog stats each day to see where readers come from and what they are reading. Yesterday I noticed that someone was reading an old post entitled "Growing Willows" from February this year. So I clicked onto it to see what pearls of wisdom I had imparted.  mmmm Oh well! One thing I did write about was about starting off this years sweet peas. I was really glad to have found this because the sweet peas this year have been wonderful, with a beautiful fragrance. Lots of people have asked me where I bought the seed and I haven't been able to remember and there is was in february's post.... Lidl!!!
 The phone has just rung.. The engineer will be here between 10 and 12 and as the Society Committee members will be here at 11 and we have to be at the hall by 12.30 I had better get my skates on.

 Back soon
Gillx

12 comments:

  1. License and Licence are pitfalls waiting to happen. I wouldn't worry. Both are as English as can be, but mean different things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I saw it it grated on me as I meant it as a noun not a verb.

      Delete
  2. You stay in the dry and send the members doing the running round.While you wait for your man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ended up with the guy calling later so D. stayed behind for the oven man while I went to the hall for a marathon tea mash

      Delete
  3. Hope he's turned up. It's so annoying when the oven goes on the blink. I remember our glass door blowing up right before Christmas, we got it sorted out just in time for the big day. I don't know what I'd have done if I couldn't cook my turkey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he turned up. tweaked a couple off things that needed tweaking, but didn't have the parts to finish the job. He will be back on saturday to finish the job....fingers crossed.
      I remember having a power cut a few Christmases ago. I pretended I wasn't panicked by it and was very relieved when it came back on! bet you were relieved!

      Delete
  4. I do hope he turned up on time, I never seem to get anything done when I'm waiting for something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a few minuted late, so not bad at all really. Mind you it is the one thing I have a service agreement on, so I would have been pretty cross if he hadn't turned up

      Delete
  5. One of the things about my Aga is that it doesn't have a temperature gauge. You have to learn to cook using the positioning of the shelves as a pointer to the heat. Takes a bit of getting used to but once you have learned what to do you are away. Hope everything went smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our 'poor man's Aga' (deVille) does have a gauge, but it comes with a sense of humour!

      Delete
    2. I suppose I have been spoilt by having electric ovens with gas hobs. All of which (when working) take all the guess work out of baking. I have, however always wanted a rayburn so I suppose I would learn to be without a gauge!

      Delete
    3. Even one with a "Sense of humour"!!! brilliantly descriptive Cro.

      Delete