Tuesday 31 December 2013

Saffy Dog

Crikey, New Year's Eve ! Where did the year go. it certainly goes quicker the older you get.

Here we are on at Christmas lunch in our kitchen. My grandson is taking this photo from the sink! A head (and arm) count shows 18 plus GS.

Below is a sketch I did for my Youngest daughter as a little extra present. It is of her dear dog, who died two years ago. Saffy was a kind, loving, intelligent dog and I think that my daughter felt she wouldn't have another dog after her. As you know if you have read earlier blogs she now has a dog, Sammie, who she initially fostered and has now adopted.
Saffy used to love coming here (as does Sammie now) They live just over a mile away and when YD said     " We are off to Grandmas" Saffy would go and sit by the car. Saffy was never locked in the garden as she would sit by the gate and never go out. However, if YD didn't then get ready pretty quickly Saffy would set off on her own and walk to our place! She was often seen sitting at the side of the road, looking both ways before she crossed and then trotting purposefully down the steep hill to ours. She would arrive at the door and I would phone to say "Guess who just arrived?!"  "I know, I'm on my way now, just not quick enough for Saffy - I'm not going to tell her in future until we set off!"
We had no pictures of Saffy other than bits and bobs from when she was a (rescue) pup and parts of her disappearing into our field. So I cobbled this together from those and my memory.  It's not brilliant artistically, but I think it does capture her kindness.

I got the new "house" diary and notebooks out today. I always have a note book in my bag for lists, measurements. meal plans etc. However there is little structure in this, so I have determined that there will be More Structure in 2014!! I shall try to set a day, probably sunday, when I will plan the weeks meals and assemble a shopping list. I am ashamed to admit that I have no idea what I will spend each week, though I am always careful and frugal and NEVER waste. I don't have a fixed amount of cash in my purse and tell myself that that is what I will spend. I spend what I need to and if some is left in my account so be it, if not, then I won't be buying anything will I?
Now I can hear those of you who know EXACTLY how much you have in your bank and how much will be spent on food, cleaning materials, bus fares, presents etc. thinking "This woman can't possibly be as frugal and careful as her blogname suggests" But I am, just not ORGANISED.

 So if I have a resolution for 2014 it is to try to be more organised. This means keeping track of what money I have, Menu-planning every week, not just when I think about it and perhaps saving my receipts etc . Oh yes and I am definitely going to see if we can get cheaper insurance on the house and contents, car and breakdown cover.

Enough for now. have a a great time tonight if you have something planned and a peaceful one if you are hunkering down for a quiet night in.
Happy New Year to you all
Gillxxx

14 comments:

  1. Quiet night in for us, new year seems to arrive whether we wait up for it or not!
    Good luck with your organising plans, have to say I never do menu plan, I know whats in the freezer/fridge/garden and that's what we eat then it gets replaced in next months shopping.
    Happy New Year to you all up there in Derbs - i've enjoyed your blogging friendship in my first 9 months of blogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a good first year in blogland hasn't it? I've enjoyed it much more than I expected and really feel I know some of my fellow bloggers.
      let's hope we have a good growing year in 2014
      Gillx

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous gathering, food looks pretty good too ! Your painting is wonderful so thoughtful of you, Im sure it will be treasured forever.

    I would like to be more organised this year, as for the household budget, i suppose that will be the same, some weeks costing more than others, like you we buy what we need and use it all. The one thing I do like to do is menu plan and shop accordingly.

    We have no plans to go out this year, just the two of us and a bottle of peach bellini bubbly and probably Graham Norton on the telly...not very exciting!

    Happy NewYear to you and yours and I hope 2014 brings you all you wish for xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Karen. Looking forward to reading the posts of my new blogging friends this year.
      Look after yourself
      Gillx

      Delete
  3. Your sketch of Saffy is wonderful.. she sounded like a fantastic dog.

    Quiet night in for us too.. also probably be asleep before 2014 arrives.. I can't remember when I last saw one in!

    Wishing you and yours a Happy New Year. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. Yes, Saffy was special.
      A very Happy New Year to you too.
      Gillx

      Delete
  4. Lovely picture of Saffy, I'm sure it will be loved.
    Just a quiet New Year in for the two of us with some gifted champagne to celebrate later.
    Happy New Year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she does love it. ( No connoisseur of Art - just dogs!)
      Hope 2014 brings you all you wish for
      Gillx

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year ... thank you for your friendship over the last months ... here's to lots more bloggy fun.

    Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, it has been great making new friends like yourself in blogland.
      Here's to 2014
      Gillx

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love your pic of Saffy, I bet there were a few tears when your daughter opened her gift. Happy new year, I'm looking forward to reading more in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Her daughter saw it before it was wrapped and said "what's the betting she will cry?" There were no takers!
      Happy New Year to you too. It's been great reading your posts
      Gillx

      Delete
  7. Thanks for visiting me. When I go on to my blog later in the day I shall add you to my side bar as you seem my kind of blogger! What a lovely jolly house party it looks from your photograph. I had eight and that nearly killed me!! Last night it was eight again and this lunch time it will be five - then back to normal.
    My housekeeping arrangements sound much like yours - I do try never to waste food, although hens will eat up anything that is left and do supply us with eggs in thanks.
    Happy new year to you and your family. Lovely drawing by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having two daughters, a granddaughter and a dear friend who know their way around my kitchen makes things pretty easy really.. just a little crowded!
      In truth, I am starting to look forward to a couple of rest days.
      Hens are great clearers up of the stuff you real can't eat aren't they ? I even boil up the veg peelings for them.
      Iv'e recently found your blog and yes, we do have much in common.
      Gillx

      Delete