Thursday 2 January 2014

A Happy New Merry

Hello and a Happy New Merry to you all
  A warm New Year and Derbyshire welcome  to Tracey, Maggie, Tilly Trotter and Cro (love your blog) and Margaret and Vanessa on Blog Lovin
I said that I would try to show pics of some of the presents I made, I then promptly forgot to take photographs of most. Here are two that I have got pics of
The first is the full size double, padded quilt I made for my God daughter and her partner.

 This one is of a sketch I made for my elder daughter. It is of three treasured summery moments for her daughter. those of you that know anything about drawing will know that it is a very poor piece, but it was more a gesture of love than fine art! (it was drawn on board and ED framed it)
I have started eight gallons of wine from the summer fruits in the freezer and there are still pounds left to process! I am also in the process of making some elderberry cordial for the cold weather. I have put star anise, mace and cinnamon sticks in to flavour and hopefully make it more appetising ! It is now strained and I shall add the sugar and some honey today and let you know how it turns out.

 My New Year's Resolutions, more like intentions really, are to keep a handle on my/our finances, as in knowing what they are, rather than being more careful as I reckon if I was any more frugal I would be mean and that would never do!
 I also intend to make a little more time for me and not feel guilty if I do something just because I enjoy it.
 ( I might even return to sculpture after a fifty year hiatus!)
I intend to be a more regular blogger, trouble with this is that get lost in other blogs and end up not having time to do my own.

 Lastly, I would like you to join me in a virtual celebration of the best successful New Years Resolution I ever made  - and kept - 20 years ago I gave up smoking !!! It was, and still is, like being out of an abusive relationship.
That's all for now, see you soon
Gillx

17 comments:

  1. I gave up about 15 years ago, and feel the same.

    This was the first year (last year) that my Elderberry Champagne failed. I did everything the same as ever, but.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never made elderberry champagne and I don't know why as I have several trees here and I love it as a drink. I usually add the flowers to gooseberry dishes and then use the berries later.
      I can still feel a tad smug about being a non-smoker!

      Delete
  2. Lovely gifts, a lot of time and effort went into those x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quilt certainly took a long time! I'm half way through making another for my granddaughter, which isn't taking quite as long as I know what I am doing this time
      Gill

      Delete
  3. Your drawing and paintings look good from here!
    Better than I could do in 100 years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but I doubt my Art teacher would have agreed with you!
      Gillx

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year to you too and well done on staying off the cigarettes for so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said to Cro I'm afraid I am sometimes guilty of the sin of Pride about being free of the weed.
      Happy New Year, hope it's a good oone
      Gillx

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year from a silent lurker:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooh don't be silent! Share a bit about yourself. I love to hear from folk in blogland
      Happy New Year Sweffling
      Gillx

      Delete
  6. Hello and thanks for saying 'hello' to me as a follower on Bloglovin - Vanessa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Jibber Jabber UK hope to see you more in 2014
      Gillx

      Delete
  7. I think all your gifts are lovely
    Elderberry cordial - I am dosing Compostman up at the moment as he has 'flu :(
    Giving up smoking was the best thing I ever gave up - so well done and keep on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks
      Do you make your own cordials too?
      We can afford to pat ourselves on the back for giving up
      Gillx

      Delete
  8. I love the quilt! I have been collecting free fabric samples to hopefully do something similar one day, although it is taking rather a long time to get my fabric together and it keeps getting used for other things first!

    Happy New Year :)

    Oh, and the jars I collected from you a while ago were put to good use in my Christmas hampers this year, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear that you are working toward a quilt. If I get any spare I will save it for you.
    I have been given some more jars if you need them at any time.
    What did you put in your hampers?
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thank you, although I have literally just finished making my last batch of blackberry jam and finally have freezer space again!

    I did damson jam, blackberry jam, blackcurrant jam, courgette chutney, cranberry and apple chutney, damson gin, spicy ginger biscuits, pork pies and a christmas cake in each. They ended up rather heavy hampers!

    ReplyDelete