Sunday 17 February 2013

Salted Beans - Help Needed!

Hello out there in Frugal land!
Last year youngest GD and I salted some runner beans. I had tried before, some years ago and they had gone bad. So last year as part of my studies into preserving without the use of electricity  I had another go and they have been looking PDG.    HOWEVER... No matter what I do they are Soooooooooo salty as to be inedible. I rinsed them under running water for several minutes, then boiled them up and threw the water away, then boiled them and poured fresh boiling water over them after draining. To no avail ! Is there something else I should be doing? Please help as I have two very large jars of the things !
Gill

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps if you soak them overnight and change the water a couple of times ... and/or cook them with a potato (potato is supposed to absorb the salt)..
    just ideas .. I don't really know what else to suggest.

    Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try both those things.. Thanks for that. I'll let you know how it goes. x
    Gill

    ReplyDelete