Tuesday 7 January 2014

Popcorn Disaster

Hello
Firstly, welcome to Bridget and Jamex, new followers and Lancashire Food, Linda and Sally on Blog Lovin. I am really pleased to see you here and look forward to hearing from you.

Just before Christmas I thought it would be fun to make popcorn with YGD and string it up on the tree. BUT ... my hand-cranked  popcorn maker has broken ! The spindley thingy that stirs the popcorn and the coggy thingy that turns it have come apart irrevocably ( and believe me if they could be mended D. would have done it!)  It was bought for me by a colleague from one of those television shopping channels over 10 years ago and I love it. It is not dependent on electricity, so you can use whatever heat source you have and it makes some pretty mean popcorn. Looking on the interweb, the company Theaker is from Indiana and doesn't seem to deal with the UK.
Here is a picture  -
So, bloggy friends. Does anyone know who does a similar machine? There are plenty of electric popcorn makers out there, but I really don't want an electric one.
Also in the picture above is the last Crown Prince winter squash, some of which as gone into a cockerel curry with some passata,  potatoes and onions  - A  totally home grown meal, apart form the spices !
The last pathetic parsnips are there too, but nothing to boast about there.

One of the presents I received this Christmas ( and I reckon I will be talking about what I received until June, I had so many things bought me!) that was Brilliant was from EGD.. some large marker pins. She knew that I wanted some and that I had coveted some I had seen on some crafty blog ( wish I could remember where) I always use a pin cushion and felt that these needed there very own. I cut a circle of fabric and covered a lump of foam with it. I then shoved this into the old heavy cut glass inkwell base that I often use when working with small items, such as beads. I am so pleased with the result as it is very sturdy and serves to hold stuff down as well if needed. Aren't they beautiful little things?


Tonight we are having  paprika potatoes, turned into a stewy thing with some corned beef. We already had some with a lentil bake and there was lots left so it has reinvented itself tonight with the addition of the corned beef. With some cabbage it will be extremely tasty. The recipe is from Frugalmummy at "My Beautiful Life" blog. Thanks FM x
Enough for now dear fellow bloggers. Off to do the last three blocks of EGD's quilt and then... putting it together!!
Quite a few of you who read this blog come from the US. I'm sending you love and positive, warm thoughts. Keep safe and warm in those dreadful ice and snow storms you are having.
Nice to hear from you Lizzie. I haven't seen you in blogland for some time. keep safe x
Gillx

12 comments:

  1. I think I need some of those big pins. I'm always leaving little ones in any knitting I sew up, so I have to double and triple check that I've not left any in the finished garment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try using nappy pins to pin garments together, you can't lose those :)

      Delete
    2. They are extra thick too, soo would be good with knitting. Mind you I think Dreamer's idea is better .. and won't come undone
      Gillx

      Delete
    3. What a brilliant idea, never thought of that!

      Delete
  2. There is a similar one on amazon Gill.

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wabash-Valley-Farms-25008-Whirley-Pop/dp/B00004SU35

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found it! Exactly the same yippee. Thanks for that.
      Gillx

      Delete
  3. I sell loads of those big pins ... my Girls (crafting ladies who come to buy haberdashery) tell me they are ideal for quilting (through all the layers) and as Bridget said .. sewing up knitting.
    And of course they are pretty.
    just love the idea with the glass base .. I often fine pincushions are light weight and easily get knocked onto the floor.
    I make popcorn just in a sturdy pan with a close fitting lid .. and 'shake it about' a bit... cant say I have ever seen one like your splendid vintage model.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I particularly wanted the pins for quilting. Firstly because they go through so many layers and secondly as markers.
      As you can see the glass is very solid and heavy. perfect for the job
      I've never made popcorn in an ordinary saucepan.
      Gillx

      Delete
  4. Dreamer beat me to the Amazon link to the whirley pop popcorn popper! yes they are made in Indiana, US, close to where I live, thought it looked familiar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for that ! I can't believe that I have had two positive replies. I only asked on what I thought was a slim off chance.
    Do you have one too?
    Keep warm and thanks for reading
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The death of a popcorn popper is a sad thing!

    Just wanted to pop in and say , "Hello!" I'm working on catching up on my blog reading. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I love your blog. Is there an email address I can contact you on?

    ReplyDelete