Tuesday 28 January 2014

Update chat

Hello Fellow Frugellers!

Don't you wish this weather would pick up! The down side for us is the Mud and then more mud! It is also impossible to get onto the gardens without ruining the soil, so we must be patient. At least here in the midlands we are not flooded like those down south,, who have been underwater since Christmas. Apart from the poor home owners the farmers must be in despair, as they will surely loose crops that are already planted and be unable to sow anything for many weeks.

The family tea for D's birthday went well. We had a leg of lamb (who is this then grandma?) with lots of vegetables and yorkshire puddings (ooh yes and mint sauce of course) I made a lemon cake and a marmalade cake and YD bought some treacle sponges. As you can imagine there are plenty of leftovers ! Goody.. less to do next week.

 YGD bought D a haggis which had been given to her by a customer. D was delighted and I served it up last night with mashed potatoes, cabbage,  carrot and swede mashed together and a good rich gravy.

The hens are really fed up with the rain and mud, but the longer days are irresistible so the the egg totals are  going up. Hurrah, they may start paying their way again soon. Keeping the eggs clean is a challenge as their feet are so muddy, so I have been putting extra hay in the boxes.

After telling myself that I would not start too many projects, I find that I have at least four on the go - two quilts, some knitted slippers and some kitchen towels that I am making from some old bath towels. Oh yes ! on Sunday YGD (age 8) tells me that she needs to be an Egyptian next week at school. So we rustled through the stash and she should look okay when I have finished the outfit.  I'll post a picture when I finish it. That is now top of the list to do along with several items from the mending pile.

I have been following a "Farmgirl" blog for the last few months. This blog joins other like-minded blogs and is very "smallholdery" (new word!) I noticed that they had put a link to their facebook chit chat page, so I joined yesterday and Wow! what a friendly lot they are ! I will put the details in the next post, when I work out how to do it.
Meanwhile I must get this post out as I am  away from the lap top for a while and don't know when I will be back!
Keep well and warm out there in Blogland
Gillx

 


12 comments:

  1. That Farmgirl sounds interesting.
    Still raining here .. although the days are getting lighter longer .. but I'm afraid it will take a good few weeks to dry out some of the fields. I feel for the farmers trying to lamb in this weather .. poor lambs are stood .. backs hunched in this cold rain.
    Poor lambing season is going to make lamb even more expensive ... good job you have your own in the freezer.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iv'e just tried to do a link and failed ! No change there then.
      We were hoping to get a couple of lambs agin , but they might well be too dear for us. Will have to spin out waht we have
      Gill

      Delete
  2. Here in Herefordshire it is just rain day after day. Don't be away for too long.
    Dianne - Herefordshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't long after all ! This weather is keeping me in doors more than usual
      Gill

      Delete
  3. Not 'cold' here, but Oh I do wish it would stop blinkin raining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second Cro! It's getting really boring! Looking forward to seeing the Egyptian costume x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just started it. put a picture of the material on today's blog
      Gill

      Delete
  5. Look forward to the Farmgirl blog! And mud, don't talk to me about mud. But we must be grateful that we live on a hill and just watch the water swirl past and down, no floods here thank goodness. Roll on some drier and warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you will enjoy it Sweffling.
      I guess you are not too far from me if you are toward the south of Sheffield. We are on a slope too with the water draining away from us

      Delete
  6. It has snowed all day here. At least the sanding truck came this morning and levelled the ruts a bit and put down salt. Had to have a tooth extracted this afternoon-not fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We''ve had snow, but none has settled , so guess what ? more mud!
      Gill

      Delete