Friday 10 January 2014

Planning for a Frugal Weekend

Planning for a frugal weekend

Adam will be with us this weekend and the family will be here for tea on Sunday. I still intend to live out of the freezer and not go to the shops for anything other than milk. So what's the plan?!
Saturday
Breakfast - Porridge
Lunch-  Leek and Potato Soup with homemade bread
Tea/Dinner - Chicken (well turkey actually) and vegetable pie with mashed potatoes and brussels.  I don't normally do pudding when Adam is here, as his mum wants him to lose some weight. However I have a couple of large Christmas oranges left, so I shall peel those and put them out.
Sunday
Breakfast - Porridge
Lunch - poached eggs on toast  - I shall use the last of the homemade for this as it is likely to be getting a little dry by now.
Dinner - (probably nine of us for this meal)  "An Indian" -
Cockerel, potato and squash curry
Rabbit Tandoori
Aloo Saag - Pink Fir Apple potatoes and perpetual spinach
Rice
mint yoghurt (need to buy a plain yoghurt for this)
Tomato, cucumber, onion and mint salad - The very last Christmas tomato! and I bought the cucumber just after Christmas for 15p with a yellow sticker
Plain Dahl
Pudding - Apple Crumble and custard or ice cream,
The only ingredients I need to buy for this meal is the yoghurt for the dip. I will also have to buy some more milk to keep us "tea bellies" going.
We have grown or reared nearly all the ingredients I am pleased to say.
This weekend I need to climb into the cellar for some demi-johns as the wine is ready to be strained off and sugar added. Cleaning demi-johns is not my favourite job !

Before I go I must give a really warm Derbyshire welcome to Sylvia Elizabeth, Nannie Mackinny and Diane Davis. Lovely to see you here.
Can anybody tell me what "having people in circles! means?
Until next time
Gillx


21 comments:

  1. Your menu sounds good, have you got room for a little one? I think the circles are to do with Google+, I've joined it but I don't really understand it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always room for another at our table! I usually make too much and not allays by design.
      does it say on your blog that you are "in circles" ?

      Delete
    2. No I get emails saying a contact has invited me to join and I actually read a persons blog as they do their blog on circles!! Way to technical for me !!

      Delete
  2. Ummm circles ... I was wondering about that to .. just thought it was me being a bit dense ,,, anyone else know what we do/or it does/ or why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping someone will explain as nobody seems to know. I have quite a few followers on blog lovin who are "in circles" (as oppose to stitches or the club or the way) I wondered if it might compromise my blog in anyway if I "joined". Plus it's rather neater to keep to the blog pages I would have thought instead of looking all over the place! I am probably wrong.
      Gill

      Delete
  3. Oh good, it isn't just me, I have been invited to join circles but have no idea what I would be getting myself into. The only circles that I know of are of the fairy rings and crop variety, oops I nearly forgot Hula Hoops.and coconut ring biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had onion rings last night ... do they count!
      You seem to feel the same as I, that you might be getting yourself into something you might regret
      Gill

      Delete
  4. Wonderful menu - I'm planning quilting, tidy, clean and launder, radio show on Sunday and a lazy Sunday afternoon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks
      I'm hoping to do some quilting tonight, but as the day promises to be dry I shall be spending the day outside and the housework may have to wait (again) My house always seems to be having to wait for some reason or another!
      Will try and catch you on the radio tomorrow while I am working in the kitchen
      Gill

      Delete
  5. Sorry I dont have a clue about these circles. Loving the menu, sound like you have it down to a fine art, its great that you still have your own produce.
    Enjoy your family time xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too! Isn't it nice to know that other people have no idea either !?
      I was only saying to D. yesterday that we are doing quite well for food, which is not accidental, but things don't always work out as you planned. In other years we have had very lean times at the start of the year and into spring.
      Thanks
      Gill

      Delete
  6. Don't know anything about the circles thing, sorry.
    Your meals sound delicious. I too am trying to use all my bits and pieces from Christmas as I don't like to waste anything. You are right about using freezer food - I stacked my two freezers to the limit in order to be sure to have plenty in if folk called, so now I am trying to be inventive, but can't match you.
    You are going on my side bar immediately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee Hee. Maybe we should start a new group for those that don't "get it" yet. maybe we should be in "semi-circles" until we are sure!
      I. like you, have two freezers and still manage to fill them, because I can't throw anything away, nor turn down an offer of something. Last week it was a brace of pheasants, which I processed and froze. I should make some room tomorrow as the curry, the tandoori and the dahl are already made and frozen.
      Gill

      Delete
  7. The circles thing is a bit like Facebook. So once you are in a circle you can see what the others are doing. It was google's attempt to at Facebook, but as far as I can see it hasn't been that successful. Hope that makes sense :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that!
      So would it be worth joining with those on blog lovin? ( for example) I have always avoided the facebook and twitter links on blogs, as it would be another site to check and I waste enough time trawling blogs as it is!
      Gill (mum) x

      Delete
  8. yummy, rabbit tandoori!
    Wish we had a rabbit provider around here!
    I'm going to make some mango chutney sometime soon as the market often has some lovely mangoes going cheaper than any where else. Obviously, not local produce!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love mango chutney but not mangoes as a fruit to eat raw ! I make a sweetish chutney with gooseberries that has a hint of the mango chutney flavour to go with curries.
    Not everybody likes rabbit, but cooked as a tandoori it is difficult to tell it from chicken and of course it has less fat and is high in protein.
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  10. W've been buying milk in "bulk" (3 for £3 in morrisons) and freezing ti to save us having to go on a mid week shop. food all sounds good except for the cucumber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You art absolutely right ! I should stock up on milk really for when I can't , or don't want to, go to the shops.
      Nice to hear from you and extremely interested in your smallholding ventures
      Gill

      Delete
  11. Aren't these 'circles' something to do with aliens and wheat fields (or naughty art students)?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reckon it's the concept that's alien to most of us! And as for naughty art students, crop circles would have been a good trick for rag week wouldn't they? - probably in the shape of CND logo!

    ReplyDelete