Tuesday 2 January 2018

Hello All and a Happy New Year
Well Christmas has come and gone. Much as I enjoy it I also like to return to normal (whatever that is!)
Christmas day was lovely, after a shaky start when the power went off at 8.15, an hour after I had put the very large turkey in the oven. I looked outside and there were no Christmas lights to be seen so I gathered it wasn't us, but a general power cut. You could almost hear all the households screaming Noooooooo! I decided to go outside and see to the hens and rabbits. On my return 20 minutes later the phone was ringing. it was my granddaughter ringing from her father's house, some fifteen miles away. "Is your power off"? she asked  "Blimey" I thought,"Tthis is a major outage". "Why yes", I replied (as it came back on) "Are you off too?" "No I saw it on ... (local friend) facebook post!" So all was back on and I spent a goodly while thinking about what I would have done if the power had been off for the morning. I do like a challenge, especially a self-sufficient, SHTF- type situation. Does anyone else do this?
So onto lunch, just 14 people this year, which made for a little more elbow-room at the table. In the early evening, as is usual, my sister and her sons arrived with their families to join us. A few weeks before, my younger daughter and myself had found some odds and sods of cine film taken by my dad many years ago, which we had converted to DVD. We surprised everyone with a film show. It was lovely to see my parents and grandmother and our children, now 47 and 50, as babies. (We were also quite surprised at how many shots of women's bottoms were taken by dad while on various beaches!) The younger generation, that is, my sister's and my grandchildren, were shocked to see people smoking in the house and naked children playing on the beach. How times have changed eh?!
And talking of change......
The left-overs are now all sorted, eaten or frozen and we face a new year with some big changes for our family. The first came just before Christmas when our granddaughter and her partner moved out of ours to their own home, they have been living with us for over two years so we do feel that we are rattling around the house at the mo. They have moved four miles away ( the house was even on Homes under the Hammer!) and we still provide doggy-daycare, so still see them often. A more radical change is my elder daughter moving to another county! This is not as far as it sounds as she is to move to south Yorkshire while we live to the north of Derbyshire, which abuts said county. She has gained a significant promotion and she and her husband and daughter (and pony) are to decamp in the new year (oh my goodness that is now!!) As if that change wasn't enough to rattle our cosy little world, my younger daughter has been asked to be part of a team setting up a utilities project, for four years in Jersey!
We are still getting our heads around all this. Now I know that many of you have family all over the world and that we are so lucky to have had our little family within 10 miles of us since we, ourselves, were born. But Crikey !!!!!
That being said, we are SO proud of our daughters for doing so well and our granddaughter for buying her own home aged 23 years.
2018 is going to be very different for us isn't it?

I think I will leave it at that for now and post again soon. While I don't make new year's resolutions I AM determined to blog more in 2018.
Love Gillx
PS Has anyone read the biography by Caroline Fraser about laura Ingalls (Little House on the Prairie)?

16 comments:

  1. Take all those changes in sloowly - don't let them overwhelm you. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try . A Happy New Year to you too Weave
      Gillx

      Delete
  2. Wow-what a start to 2018 with all the changes. Happy New Year. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I shall need counselling!
      Happy New Year
      Gillx

      Delete
  3. What a day to have the power go out! Sounds like it was a busy but very nice day anyway. Lots of changes for your family too! I hope the adjustments are smooth and satisfactory for you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It went off one year at 12.00, which was interesting!
      I think as we get older we find it just that little bit more difficult to go with the flow!
      Gillx

      Delete
  4. Hello Gill _ Thank goodness your electric came back on Xmas day. Ours was off for 9 hours today due to storm Eleanor and Col is back in hospital again.Not a great start to new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! poor Col ( my very best wishes to him) 9 hours is a goodly time to be without electricity, though I know as a self-sufficient person you would have coped.
      Hope the year improves for you
      Gillx

      Delete
  5. Well that made me wonder what I would do if we had no electric to cook the turkey. I think it would probably have ended up being barbecued somehow.
    I hope all the changes you are facing work out well for you all.
    Happy New Year Gill.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I considered chopping the legs off the turkey and barbequing the rest. I also thought of firing up the army field kitchen that is in the workshop for the pigs in blankets and the stuffing. Fortunately we have gas hobs to the cooker. It's good to stretch the old grey matter to such things dont you think?
      happy New Year Shiela
      Gillx

      Delete
  6. So glad to see a new post from you. Big changes in your family! Our oldest son and DIL moved to another province a few months ago so that has been a big change for us. They only lived down the street from us before! Just think of all the places you can go and visit. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks
    My youngest daughter lives very close too and I see her every day so moving to Jersey is a huge change. As you say visiting such a beautiful place wont be a great hardship!
    Happy New Year to you and yours
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank for your very good article.! i always enjoy & read the post you are sharing!

    soy'vvow]oN

    ReplyDelete
  9. The content of your blog is exactly what I needed, I like your blog, I sincerely hope that your blog a rapid increase in traffic density, which help promote your blog and we hope that your blog is being updated.
    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  10. so please make sure work is 100% original in your own words. http://9wwemo65kd.dip.jp http://iewrbtzyrb.dip.jp http://br2a0485w2.dip.jp

    ReplyDelete
  11. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What's app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete