Wednesday 24 January 2018

On feeling vulnerable and up to date

Hello All
Firstly Hello to Charlotte Weaver, Jennifer and Fenella Rowe on Bloglovin and Jennifer Williams on the follower bar. Thanks so much for following, especially as I am such a tardy blogger!

As as I have said in my last blog, there are several changes happening here in frugalderbyshireland. One of the outcomes of my youngest daughter moving away for a year or two  has been the rehoming of her cats and dog. As Sammie, her black labrador, comes to us for doggie day care and has separation anxiety issues the obvious choice of new home is us! Over the next few months while she is splitting herself between two other jobs he is spending much of his time here anyway and when she goes to Jersey he will stay with us full time. As for her cats..she has three, or I should say HAD three as she has gradually rehomed them over the last month. Her older long haired tortoiseshell has gone to her son's, her younger ginger haired three-legged cat now lives with her daughter and her huge, grey, half bengal, psycho cat is now with us ! After losing our Dixie last year we have missed having a cat and Baloo (also known as Beebop) is fitting in well and has made himself at home. Baloo is unfazed by dogs and has made it clear to Coda ( my eldest granddaughter's dog who comes here for daycare) and Sammie just where they are in the pecking order.
Coda and Baloo went missing yesterday. I hunted around the house and found them on my bed!


 Here is Baloo again with Coda (and me) sharing a sofa this time.


 Over the last year my circle of friends has been affected by illness, disability, death and accidents. I am beginning to feel like the last man standing! Being in our 70s I suppose I shouldn't be surprised but I really am starting to wonder if perhaps I might not be invincible  and perhaps it could happen to me. I am currently the only person in my circle of friends who takes no medication (my choice) and is, on the whole, pretty well. This is fortuitous, as I lead an active life, but when my close friend, who I see at least weekly, slipped and broke her ankle a couple of weeks ago, I wondered how we would cope if that happened to me. I suppose I would delegate tasks to others (and there are less and less of them!) and some things would have to wait a while, but what I fear most is that I think I would go stir-crazy being immobilised.

Quick up to date here on what has been happening on the old homestead -
We've been really busy with the Civic Society and Canal Society this month and my "office" looks as though a bomb has hit it! I wish I was tidier, I really try but somehow other things take over and I drift off from the chaos. I look at pictures on other people's blogs and think how good it would be to be that organised.
I have started the early seeds off under the propagator with the help of my grandson's partner. She is unable to work because of a disability, but has been really helpful with this task and we have quite a good system going. We have also started on the huge fabric stash, cutting out patchwork pieces and shopping bags.
I'm taking the last veggies from the garden now. Kale, beetroot, brussels and celeriac (I had some salad leaves but the chickens found them!) I made a lovely gratin type dish the other day with the celeriac. I just layered slices of potato, celeriac, onion and grated cheese into an ovenproof dish, poured a little vegetable stock and cooked for 30 mins. it was a great hit with the family.
For the first time this winter the river has been up to the banks, though not over. In past years it has broken it's banks and flooded a little of the paddock. The weather is till pretty mild on the whole, but then winter is not really over yet is it?
We have bought a new car. We expect this will last us for the remainder of our driving lives. It is another Berlingo multispace, which suits our lifestyle. The car salesman was somewhat bemused to hear how many bales of hay, pallets and lambs could be carried in a Berlingo!.. "Could you send a photo for our facebook page"? he asked
Lastly, it looks as though we are on lockdown because of Bird Flu again. really?! Come on . It's almost impossible.
Back Soon
Gillx






12 comments:

  1. Hi - good to see a blog post from you. I hadn't heard that bird flu was round again - what a pain.
    hope you keep well through 2018 too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. Yes bird flu has been fund in wild birds,thus an England ban not just local. As usual defra has not been too vocal in this so many people don't even know about it, which make those of us who do wonder why we bother!

      Delete
  2. Awww Gill I do feel for you. I am only just in my sixties with some health issues and I am already spending a ridiculous amount of time worrying about what will happen if I am unable to do all I do now.

    Coda and Baloo look very much at home....bless them.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the worrying comes with age. I think I must have had my head in the sand. Mind you, I am sure that a positive attitude is helpful too.
      Yes the boys have definitely got their feet under the table!

      Delete
  3. Baloo looks like he's got his feet tucked firmly under the table lying on your knee in the photo. I'm glad your daughter was able to keep her pets within the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has hasn't he?
      Yes, she feels better than she would have done at rehoming them, we already know them with their little ways and she also gets to see them when she does get .

      Delete
  4. Lovely photos. I'm only just in my sixties and very active and that's the way I intend it staying. I'm not on any medication for age related problems (blood pressure, Cholesterol, type 2 Diabetes) but I am on Thyroxin and have been for years just as I asthma medication. I fell over in the ice a few weeks ago and quickly managed to put my hand out to stop myself and it broke my fall. My hand and wrist was black and blue but I was fine. I would hate to be incapacitated. When I brought hubby home from hospital recently I swore I would do everything possible to stay away from those places they make you ill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky escape for you there! I agree that while hospitals and drugs save lives they also can make you ill.
      A good diet, keeping moving and a positive attitude has to be a starting point

      Delete
  5. I was up on the roof fiddling with my satellite dish yesterday. It was high, slippery, and dangerous. I really must stop doing these stupid things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you don't! I thought that I ought to be more careful too when I was clearing a gutter on an outhouse the other day and decided that perhaps I should ensure someone was around next time to call an ambulance!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for all your efforts that you have put in this, It's very interesting Blog...
    I believe there are many who feel the same satisfaction as I read this article!
    I hope you will continue to have such articles to share with everyone!
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete
  7. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What's app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete