Wednesday 17 July 2024

Ticking Jobs off



 Hello Again

Well here I am keeping on keeping on.

We (the family) have been tidying up David's sheds. He was quite a hoarder and it has not been possible to get into, never mind do any work, in his sheds for some time now. So my eldest daughter A. and her husband P.  have started on the big workshop. The inspiration to start on this particulart shed has come from the need to make some space for the contents of their garage. If you remember from my last post her husband  was in a serious motor cycle accident late last year and his life could only be saved by the amputation of his leg and hip . They have now moved into a bungalow in a Derby suburb. The bungalow has much to be done to it which includes the demolition of the garage, hence the need to store the contents elsewhere ( here). I had forgotten how large the workhop was and remember how I used to be able to work on the beehives in there. When we have finished clearing it and their stuff goes to their bungalow I shall offer it as a temporary work space to those who have nowhere to work on individual projects. There are workbenches, electric points and even a field kitchen to make tea.

A and I have made several trips to the local scrap merchants with all the defunct, dangerous and broken metal scrap. The money we made I invested in the hire of a huge shredder. A small work party got together a couple of weeks ago and we proccessed for fireword and mulchings the fallen branches and diseased trees from around the property. There remains a couple of dangerous really large trees to be attended to, but I have asked a tree surgeon to attend to those!     

 
P. was our maintenance man,  servicing the chain saws and keeping the mower and strimmer going.
A. with Charlie the dog, who was no help at all.

 I feel the garden is getting away from me somewhat, but others are struggling too with the weed growth from all this rain. I am however , starting to reap a veggie harvest, which make all the work worthwhile.

 After the visit from the fox and with two new, virgin, sisters from a local chicken farm arriving to keep her company, the lonely little black hen has gone broody. As the new hens " know not a man" and our cockerel Hugh serviced Blackie some time ago, she was rather wasting her time sitting on their eggs. So after a plea on facebook, she is now sitting on 14 fertile eggs. This will mean a new flock with fresh blood. Which is not a bad idea really. I have had several offers of cockerels, but have refused as I don't know how they will be with new chicks. Some are great and others can be quite nasty.

This Gal ain't budging!

 I guess that's all for now.
Back soon
Thanks for dropping by
Gillx


4 comments:

  1. Always plenty of people willing to give away cockerels!
    Keep on keeping on with the shed clearing. Colin only took a horse box and trailer full of stuff from the smallholding to Clay cottage, but it still took a while to sort out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, I could have a pen full of cockerels!.
    I don't know how David would have coped with choosing what to take if we had downsized/ changed our lifestyle. I reckon he would have had a complete meltdown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh you have all been busy. We are still waiting on property searches and solicitors that seem to work exceedingly slowly. Everything we need to get rid off has mostly gone, just some bits of furniture to go and I'm going to put them on our local FB free wanted/unwanted page. Fed up now and just want to be in my new home. Hugs Gill Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete