Friday 5 April 2024

Yogurt

 Hello

I'm going to start  off with a recipe/method which some of you probably already know, but I have come across only in the last few months. I love learning new things.

 Not only is this a very economic yogurt, I think it is the best tasting, thickest one too!

Slow Cooker yogurt



Place 4 pints of milk in your slow cooker and put on high for 2 to 3 hours until temp is 180.

Turn off the cooker and leave for a further 2 to 3 hours until temp is 110 to 115

In a bowl add a little of the milk to a live plain yogurt I( I used a basic live Greek one) stir and then pour back into the rest. Stir gently up and down, don't whisk in a circular motion.

Take the bowl out of the casing and wrap it in a towel

Leave overnight ( or 10. to 12 hours) at room temperature

Strain into a cheesecloth and leave several hours to remove as much of the whey as you can.

Decant into a bowl and refrigerate.

This is when I go to the freezer and fish out those silly cartons of a few plums, raspberries etc that I couldn't possibly throw away last autumn. A tin of strawberries mixed in  also went down well with the great- granddaughters

Don't forget to save a pot to use as the next culture. 

-------------------

If this blasted rain would stop I could get more planted in the veg patch. Goodness know what the farmers are going through.

All For Now 

Gillx




3 comments:

  1. Polytunnels and raised beds are the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see you back. I make my own yoghurt too. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to reading your blogs again. Wendy.

    ReplyDelete