Saturday 16 October 2021

Ideas please

 


Hello  again

Its a busy time of year getting ready to  batten down the hatches and prepare for winter. 

Today I looked through  the  bees and fed a hive that didn't have many stores, I have taken only a little honey off the other four hives this year ( still to be spun when I get a few hours free) as I am unsure how the winter is going to span out. The mild winter actually worked against them last year as they were flying a a lot and using up stores that can't be replenished by them with there being no forage in the winter. Next week I shall put the mouseguards on and wish them all a quiet winter!

Along with many of you I am sure, I have been pickling bottling drying wine making etc, This year there seems to be an extra urgency as I feel a little unsure and unsettled for the future. I've always been a prepper and as self sufficient as possible, but there is a different dimension to this now. Recently I have been happy to support a young woman to learn how to make jams/ jellies and make butter and have also been sharing on food growing and self sufficiency sites how I approach certain tasks. Obviously when posting in these groups I am preaching to the converted and I realise that for each group  member who is interested there are hundreds of thousands who care nothing for such things.

Where is this leading? Well two issues have unsettled me, 

Firstly I now have a great granddaughter who I am lucky enough to be trusted to look after  when her mum is a few hours short of support when she is at work. Watching this delightful child eat everything I pick for her as we go round the gardens ( strawberries, peas, peppers, tomatoes, cucumber blackberries and raspberries that I can think of) I wonder what kind of an adult life she will have. What will the world be like in 20 or 30 years time? Will her children have a happy carefree childhood?

Secondly, I have lost several dear friends over the last year or two and am grateful that I am still here and still have my health and am fit enough to lead a useful life, with skills to share with others... at the moment.

I can't shake a vision I have of the near future being similar to that of the second world war, with shortages of food, fuel and materials. The difference being that it won't be for just a few years. Do the generation that will have to live in these conditions have the skills and mindset to manage? I may just be here in twenty years, but may need a little looking after myself by then!

So Gill cut to the chase. My daughter and I believe that we should do what we can to pass on stuff while we can and that we should share our skills, experiences with others. We are planning to set up an event where we invite people who wish to learn skills and others who have the skills to share. Subject such as using a sewing machine , growing things to eat either in a large plot or just a window box, Frugal, wholesome cooking , getting a go-to bag together, mending, knitting, preserving,  seed saving, etc etc A thread that will run through these subject will obviously be the environmental plusses of such skills.  The attendees themselves would decide on subjects

So my question is, when we send out posters, what to call such a group?  My target age group (though not exclusively) would be 16 to 30. My daughter says to avoid titles such as "Knit and Natter" and other such twee, middle to older age  group names and aim more for "Are you ready for the Zombie Apocalypse?" to catch  the eye and imagination of younger people!  

  Thoughts and ideas Pleeeease !    

Love Gill x     

PS hope this doesn't sound too worthy!             




 


19 comments:

  1. No good idea from me, except make sure the title is inclusive to attract males too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes. Though I am sure that most subjects appeal to both sexes, perhaps an actual mention that it could be of interest to both men and women

      Delete
  2. I think it sounds brilliant. What about something like "The Skills Bank".?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice one Angela. Definitely need "Skills" there somewhere.

      Delete
  3. Thinking of Tom's - "Sowing Seeds for Survival"?



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skills Café? Before the pandemic we had a local pop up shop once a month selling loose items like pasta, rice etc and also people's surplus produce. At the same time there was a repair café. Unfortunately it hasn't restarted yet but I wrote about it at https://frugallychallenged.blogspot.com/2020/03/pop-up-shop.html

      Delete
    2. Yes, for the gardening aspect, which I suspect will be quite popular

      Delete
    3. I like the sound of your group FC. Have tried to find your blog about it before I answered your comment, but couldn't find it. Will try again x

      Delete
  4. Back to the future.
    (Reviving skills that will keep us going in an uncertain future.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially like the word "Reviving" as none of the subjects discussed is are new are they ?

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a great idea. I don't have a suggestion regarding the name, but the suggestions above will no doubt give you plenty of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think putting "Skills" somehow in the title is the way to go. Great idea.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a great idea. How about Learn Prepping Skills.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ​​​Hi, I really enjoyed reading your post, and hope to read more. thank you so much for sharing this informative blog.
    Baccarat Online_បាការ៉ាត់អនឡាញ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

    ReplyDelete