Wednesday 8 August 2018

Where to sell...car Boot or Farmers market?


Hello All
I'm looking at those fruit/veggies that I have a glut of and want to ensure there is no wastage.
In a few weeks I will have huge quantities of damsons, apples, plums, beetroot, blackberries and spinach and other sundry stuff.  I will be making copious amounts of wine and preserves, but there is only so much jam a family can eat ( not so sure that is true of the wine!) So I am planning on having a go at selling our excess. The door sales aren't anywhere near as popular as they used to be, possibly because of the road getting much busier and people not wanting to stop in such traffic. I have bought some new jam jars so that stuff is up to scratch. Second hand , i.e re-purposed, jars will do US nicely,  but I am told that I can't use these to sell.
So, okay then, where to sell? I am told that Farmers markets are good and interested in such produce and there is one in Belper, which is only 4 miles away. There is also a large Car Boot at Tansley, near Matlock which is approx. 8 miles away and has a greater footfall.
I will also have honey and wax to sell and am planning on using up some of my huge fabric stash for tote bags and veggie bags. ( as I am typing this I keep thinking of other things I could take along)
What do you think then?
I would love to hear your views
For now
Gillx

12 comments:

  1. Around here Farmers Markets expect you to turn up every week, are mostly held outside whatever weather. Do you have a Country Market near you, used to be WI market, you only have to pay a very nominal amount to be a shareholder, what you are offering for sale sounds more their products, car booters do not want to pay anything for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Farmers markets around here are Posh and for regulars only, car boots might do but you never can tell, shame about the gate sales as that was the best for us at the smallholding. Country (was WI) markets are few and far between now - sadly.
    You can re-use Jam jars for selling but not coffee or random other jars but you have to have new lids.
    Hope you find an answer to the glut

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a local greengrocer that you could sell the surplus to? We have seen 'local produce' signs on greengrocers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cherie's idea above sounds worth investigating. I am only guessing but if there are a lot of stalls selling the same kind of stuff at the farmers' market then maybe it will be hard to sell. And as for car boots, certainly when I go (which admittedly is not often) the last thing i am looking for is anything in the way of fruit and veg.. But I may be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you could re use jam jars as long as they are sterilized which as you know you have to do to make jam anyway , I think you would probably get better prices at a farmers market as car booters tend to want something really cheap , xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carboots are a hard market, people are looking for cheap. Farmers market would probably be better. I think Cherie is on the right track, try and find an outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to sell my things at local craft fayres. I got very reasonable PLI, public liability insurance, and I sold bread, cakes and preserves so maybe there is something like that near you.... Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would say the farmers market would be the best place to sell.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Park outside Waitrose, open your boot, and put up a sign saying 'The world's very best jam for sale'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank You for sharing your article, This is an interesting & informative blog. It is very useful for the developer like me.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a new user of this site so here i saw multiple articles and posts posted by this site,I curious more interest in some of them hope you will give more information on this topics in your next articles. EPLaw

    ReplyDelete
  12. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What's app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete