Sunday 12 April 2015

From fishing to trenching to baby animals

Hello All!
 It's me back in blogland after a manic few days when I haven't even had time to comment on the few blogs I have managed to read. ( I think the only comment I have left is a one word on Tom Stephenson's blog, when my breath was caught by da Vinci's Lady with Ermine)
 I shan't bore you with all that has happened over the last few days, suffice to say that we have had many visitors, the Civic Society is busy with a new campaign and planning for future events and presentations, the gardens are being prepared for planting, the lambs are growing as are the pigs and chicks, Derbyshire stone walls are being mended and so on and so on (very little housework, but lots of cooking for the troops!)
Before I say any more I must welcome Kay, The Croods, Rambler and Forever the Adventurer on the follower bar and Andrea, Collen and Cathy on Bloglovin   Great to see you here!

After David and I returned from the quick fishing trip to Cornwall, (five pollack and two ling now in the freezer) staying at my oldest (!) friend, J.'s in Callington, my said friend followed us up the M5 and stayed for the week,(she returned Saturday) Whilst here she threw herself into gardening, digging the potato trenches. She dug to about 18inches then loosened the bottom of the trench and filled it in in  layers - Pig muck, a sprinkling of chicken manure to activate, a layer of old grass cuttings and finally she has returned some of the soil  to top. We will let this settle before we add more soil the potatoes and then more soil. As usual for us the potatoes are Sarpo Mira and I will plant them in the third week of April.
Here is J. on the final trench. Not bad for woman who is 70 this year eh?
The lambs go from strength to strength. It took me a few days to get Betty's eye clear and open, but it now looks nice and sparkly (as is she) They are in the field all day now, are eating hay and sheep nuts at night and go down to three bottles a day as from Wednesday... THAT won't go down well!
We "weighed" the pigs today to see how they are progressing. To do this without scales you have to measure the girth and the length and make a calculation with these figures. A young friend was here as my godson and I set off with the tape measure "Why are you wearing ear defenders?" he asked"If you have ever had your ear next to a squealing pig, you would wear ear defenders" said Gdson. We decided that Gregory has the loudest squeal!.

I hope you are all enjoying the build-up to the election. Such fun! We decided that we would  not vote by post or email as we have always made voting a bit of a ritual and it wouldn't be the same without taking our cards round to the village hall and chatting to others doing the same. When the children were small we always took them with us and usually carried on to the local pub for a lemonade afterwards. I'm pleased to say that my children and grandchildren always exercise their right to vote.

 The wind is very strong today so I think I will work in the greenhouse or the hen house today. Goodness knows there is plenty to do!
Until next time, which I hope won't be so long
(I'll try to remember to get some pics of the babies too)
Gillx


18 comments:

  1. Wow - digging trenches at 70!! Don't think I'd be capable when I'm that age - and I'm not that far off... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The secret is to keep going. It takes a little longer to limber up and even longer to get over it !
      It is also important not to see digging as men's work, which many women do, seeing themselves as the weeders!
      I do most of the digging here, while David does most of the building.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely friend, its great when some-one helps out. you sound busy like us I wonder if we will ever catch up. Pleased to hear your family makes the effort to vote and encourages the youngsters too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J. is a brilliant help when she comes up from Cornwall and neither of us ever go to the gym or keep fit.. I wonder why?!
      Are you in Wales Dawn?

      Delete
  3. That is the sort of friend on needs this time of the year - one who gets stuck and and at least looks as though she is actually enjoying doing so. You can't mean it about the election being fun??? I do agree we must exercise our right to vote though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she does enjoy doing it. J. is a very determined sort of person and nevr does anything she doesn't want to or enjoy, so I don't feel too bad about the amount of help that she gives.
      I can't say as the modern hustings are anywhere near as much fun as in days of yore. Nowhere near the calibre of politician.
      I AM quite politically motivated though.

      Delete
  4. Could you send your friend round here please.
    Lovely to hear you are having a nice relaxing time after your holiday!
    I'm not doing poll clerk duty this election so will pop down the village hall and vote, although there is almost no point as Suffolk Coastal has been Conservative for ever and unlikely to change anytime soon and as you say Such Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping her for myself!
      I have to say that the sunny weather makes the jobs so much easier to do.
      At least you can vote and cancel out one vote!

      Delete
  5. I hope I'm that fit when I'm 70. Looking forward to the animal pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will be!
      It should be nice and sunny over the next few days so hope to have the camera out.

      Delete
  6. Those trenches look mighty serious. I've given up growing my own spuds; they are so cheap here that' it's hardly worth my while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are serious trenches, as much to get rid of animal waste and uncomposted grass cuttings as anything else. Though David and I are particularly fond of the potato we grow for roasties and bakers and have been unable to find a better in the shops

      Delete
  7. I could do with a friend like that!
    I think there should be a fine in place if you don't vote, I've not missed ome yet, although my place is in such a stronghold it makes little difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that blogland is trying to poach J. !
      I think there might be a few surprises in this election. I shall certainly watch the results with interest (not to mention trepidation)

      Delete
  8. Sounds like successes on every front! I am seriously impressed with J's trench!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spring animals certainly seem to be doing well, (last year was pretty dire on that front)
      We are calling the trenches "excecutive" as they are of such superior proportions ! Can't wait to plant the potatoes.
      Again.. good luck with your bees.

      Delete
  9. Hello, I am the one from Arizona who sent the seeds to Weave. I hope they will grow for you. I am planting some but for me I have a very small but secure area to plant on my land. So I do a container garden, Not much but very nice.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Parsnip. Brilliant! I'm looking forward to planting them . I have decided to plant them in two separate sites(one directly into the garden and the other a container) and see how they do. Will update you and Weave as I go along.

    ReplyDelete