Tuesday 9 December 2014

Blog search keywords and Santa

Hello Frugellers!
Thanks for your comments on my game pie recipe.
Today a friend called for coffee. He had been visiting a friend who has an estate and who gave him a brace of pheasants and a brace of grouse which he thought we might like. I have hung them outside until I can organise myself to process them. MORE Game Pie anyone?
 Here is a picture of my own tame Santa, sat in his galley on the canal boat on Sunday. Do you like his little stove ? He definitely had the warmest spot on the boat.

Like many of you I'm sure, I frequently look at the "stats" for my blog. I like to see what part of the world people come from, which blogs people visit me from and the searches they use to find me. The search keywords are usually Frugal; Derbyshire; Frugal in Suffolk etc. A couple of days ago however I had a few new ones One was a nasty sentence about a well known blogger and one was "youngest naked"  and another was "alert.cofrugal"  I was both intrigued and not a little cautious when I Googled each set of keywords to see what the connection was with my blog.
 Well I still don't know about the "youngest naked". some of the entries were innocuous and referred to people being naked in the bible, some about the naked earth. One or two were purporting to be about peoples sons and daughters in the bath etc- I wasn't too sure about these and couldn't help wondering if they were veiled hooks to pedophile sites. I certainly wasn't going to open them. Yes I know I have a suspicious mind and have good reason to. I could see no links to my blog or anything remotely like it, so what was that about then ?!
 I could see the reason for the link to the nasty sentence as there were words in the blog that mirror the stuff I talk about. Of course, I had to open this one... Crikey! A blogger from the states was having a rant about an English blogger and the use of a word in her blog. As a bye she was telling her readers that things are so bad in England that we all have to wear blankets around our knees as we can't afford heating, we live in poverty and squalour and are in great financial trouble, that English food sucks and that there is no wonder we have so many problems with immigrants and gays. Phew! Anyone who attempted to put another view or explanation was given short shrift, with her becoming increasingly unpleasant and rude with each commenter that didn't agree with her. She eventually said that she was not going to publish any more comments and proceeded to make several more comments herself (an original way to ensure that she is not going to be argued with!) At the foot of her blog she states " Comments are welcome, Abusive or negative ones are not" Right!
 So world wide friends I have to tell you (yes I know you know but I'm on a roll!) that England isn't doing any worse than most other countries. The food can be exceptional or poor as in other countries. While many people do struggle to heat their homes, many of the frugal bloggers restrict their heating as a lifestyle choice not a necessity because they are saving, over paying the mortgage or care about the over-use of fossil fuels. As for living in squalor...all the pictures I see of bloggers homes show pristine, clean, tidy rooms. If she wants to see untidy squalor she'll have to wait until I load a pic of my house !!
 Oh yes I Googled the third keyword and still have absolutely no idea what the link is to my blog. As some say "Go figure!!!
 All for now.
Gillx

25 comments:

  1. He looks wonderful in his costume!
    As for that other mess, some people just want to nasty and unkind.
    You can't avoid all of it, but you do the best you can.
    I like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he does look the part doesn't he? Another trip out this sunday.
      I don't think some people even think they are being nasty, they just don't think!
      Glad you like my blog.
      Gill

      Delete
  2. There's no chance your account has been hacked, is there? God forbid it has, but it is possible to "hide" all sorts of nasties that you the blogger and we the readers can't physically see but the robots and search engines can. We can't see them because they're in the same colour as the background, but search engines don't see colours only code. Happened to a website of mine once. I was horrified when I was what was coming up in the search results and ended up having to totally shut down the website.

    Another possibility is that Google has thrown a wobbly and put up some results that are nothing whatsoever to do with you. It does happen, and I speak from personal experience on that one too. Someone tried to use the search results against me simply because Google said so, therefore it must be right. Thankfully I was able to prove it was all rubbish, but I sometimes wonder whether I should be on the internet at all :)

    Hope you solve the mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter who is very computer literate says she will look into it for me this weekend.
      How awful for you. I know that blogging puts us out there somewhat and therefore we take a bit of a risk.

      Delete
  3. Well this American loved my way too brief trip, my daughter loved her year studying and living in the UK, and I and DH plan on spending at least part of our future retirement years there if you'll have us. As for food, I just finished the last of the Jammy Dodgers and my younger daughter rationed her jelly babies we brought home with us as an ode to Doctor Who.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jelly Babies!! My favourite sweet. When I was at work I used to have a jar on my desk full of Jelly Babies and Jelly Beans.
      Of course we will have you! You must visit Derbyshire and appreciate the wonderful countryside and friendly people.

      Delete
  4. I'm sitting here in the early morning with my favourite double fleece blanket over my knees, as warm as toast and so comfortable thinking 'What's so awful about that?'!!!

    Weird!

    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely nothing wrong with that!
      D. and I sat by a roaring fire last night and we still had blankets round our knees (and a scotch in our glass!)

      Delete
  5. Your Santa looks quite cosy. No need for a blanket on his knee.
    I'm very much looking forward to a visit to the UK one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly was. The cabin has a cupboard full of crochet blankets if he had needed one.
      We are definitely worth a visit and quite a friendly bunch as a whole.

      Delete
  6. There are idiots everywhere, and generalities abound. I've only been to the US once, but I can assure you that I saw 'real' poverty, and often felt quite unsafe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to the US (I'm not a fan of flying)
      I suspect this blogger is a bit of a ranter anyways, whatever the subject. Mind you I'm generalising there myself as I didn't read any of her other posts!

      Delete
  7. perhaps she was having a PMT moment, :-) I have seen real poverty and squalor in the US and the UK in both countries its nothing compared to third world countries but then they dont think of themselves as poverish, money dosent bring happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! and how fortunate we are as a whole.

      Delete
  8. Keywords are a source of endless fascination and wonder. You are brave to explore some of them. :) On the ranting blogger, I would have left a comment anyway, especially because I live in the same country as that blogger and think such a rant stupid and shameful. I would have told her so even though it would have ended up guillotined by the spam button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had seen it at the time I might have done, I really don't know. I suspect if she had been British writing about the US I would have felt ashamed too.

      Delete
  9. I am making the pie this weekend. the Mr has The Boys over this weekend so I need something filling for them all to scoff.

    Stiff upper lip Gill. Do not be drawn into it with the UK hater. Its one less tourist for us to side step in London! LOL France is that way! *Points out the window!* lol You should have asked for her address we could have sent a copy of Tatler! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Luck with the pie. I hope they like it.
      I think it made my lip stiffer if anything! Tatler ! hee hee

      Delete
  10. Crumbs, Gill, there are some weird people out there. I wouldn't know how to check the key words and I don't think I'll bother now either. I heard about that blogger's rant from another blog but couldn't be a***d to give her a click. She doesn't deserve followers.
    BTW Santa looks cosy in there. Better than a chimney any day...lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy looking at the stats. it's not about the numbers, Im not a big blogger and it was never my purpose to be, but I do like to know which countries people read from and how they found me.
      He WAS cosy. His major complaint about his comfort was that he couldn't drink the mulled ale offered him (beard issues)

      Delete
  11. I just write my post every day, read all my blog friends' posts and enjoy the communication. Beyond that the world can do what it likes I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words Weaver. Not sure that I can follow them though I always was a nosey person.

      Delete
  12. Didn't even know you could look up key words, and the ranter completely passed me by, Love the photo of Santa, where were the reindeer parked?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, as I said before some bloggers are very angry and have a lot of issues. Also there are some who have no idea how the rest of the world live and are only concerned about their own little corner of it. Also there are the perennially ignorant; they like the poor are always with us. Then there are the ones who think everyone has money except them and are spending it like drunken sailors, which, when it comes down to it is their business. Money does not insulate anyone from unhappiness or tragedy, illness or disappointment.
    One blogger is under the impression that food is virtually free in Britain and another did nt understand the risk of not using air-conditioning in the hot weather. Probably never been anywhere that is over 70F.They should have been in Chicago in the 1990s when over 800 people died in three weeks from heat-related issues Just not a very wide perspective I guess but that does stop them spouting their nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now you've got me wanting to find that blog and read the rant!

    ReplyDelete