Saturday 27 July 2013

My Frugal Granddaughter, Cabbages and Foster Dog

My Eldest Granddaughter has recently moved in with her boyfriend as you may have read in previous posts.
 She and her BF are really getting it together with their meal planning. A few days ago I gave her some brocolli and spring cabbage from our garden and she bought  some sausage from the local butchers (she works there so actually made them !) and some potatoes.
She cooked all the veg up at once so that after sausgage and mash with veg, BF made bubble and squeak which they had with bacon (couple of rashers left over) which still left some veg so after fetching half a dozen eggs from her grandma's chooks ( No I didn't expect her to pay for them !!) she made a frittata. She was very pleased with the result as she had never made a frittata before and has sent me pictures by facebook, which I am happy to share with you.
The first pic is before it went in the oven. In the dish is leftover cabbage, brocolli and bacon. She added a chopped onion, salt and pepper, then poured over 3 eggs with a little milk and then sprinkled a little grated cheese on top.
 Here is the finished product which they both said was yummy and very filling and they didn't need anything else to go with it.
D and I have been erecting netting over the brassics today. The whole garden needs protecting against the dreaded cabbage white butterfly, which has been out in huge numbers this weekend. The crop has had netted hoops over the plants, but the plants have outgrown the hoops now so we have built a sort of cage, which I can actually enter to tend to the plants too. We haven't quite finished it...hopefully tomorrow after this super thunder storm - well lightening storm actually as we haven't had a deal of thunder. The rain has been heavy but not damaging, just what our thirsty garden needs. My only worry is treehouse hen.. I wonder if she has enough cover?
YD fetched a new foster dog today. He is an old boy (10 years old) in desperate need of a home after a family breakdown. I think YD already loves him as he is a lovely chap who is okay with her cats and EGD's dog too. She bought him to see us today but we were visiting a friend at the time and missed them. So I guess we will see him tomorrow.
Tea today was frozen roast pork from Christmas with peas and kale from the garden and a sort of sauce made from sauted onion, courgette (garden) and tomato and thyme with some stock. That is the last of the Christmas meat and it had kept very well with no freezer burn or tainting. Mind you I had wrapped it extremely carefully.
 I am feeling much better today and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your good wishes.
Onwards!
Goodnight dear blogging friends
Gillx

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to seeing the foster dog. Poor chap, he must think it's the end of the world. Fancy losing your home and your family at his age.

    ReplyDelete